Jeffrey L. Barnhart
Senior Vice President
State Government Relations
Jeffrey L. Barnhart joined McGuireWoods Consulting in October 2011 as a senior vice president of State Government Relations. He works out of the firm's Raleigh office assisting clients and helping the firm grow its national and multistate practice in the southeast.
Representing Cabarrus County, Jeff served five terms in the North Carolina General Assembly before relinquishing his seat in 2011. He was most recently co-chair of the House Appropriations Committee and was a strong healthcare proponent earning numerous recognitions from many organizations. Before his tenure as a House Representative, Jeff served as a Cabarrus County Commissioner for 10 years. He was also acting County Manager for Cabarrus for eight months and served on the county's Water & Service Authority (six years) and Economic Development Board of Directors (nine years).
In addition to his strong local and state public sector experience, Jeff is a former small business owner who possesses significant private sector experience. He recently spent three years at the helm of a local healthcare center and also worked at IBM for 10 years in a number of different capacities from engineering to marketing to management. He is ranked the 13th Most Influential Lobbyist of the 2013 Legislative Session by the North Carolina Center for Public Policy Research in its annual survey of lobbyists, legislators and Capitol Press Corps members.
Jeff served in the United States Air Force from 1978 to 1982 working in Communications Security.
- Southern Illinois University, B.S., Industrial Technology, 1981
- Board of Directors, Cabarrus County Economic Development Board
- Member, Cabarrus County Water & Sewer Authority
- Member, Cabarrus County Chamber of Commerce
- Ranked the 8th most business friendly House legislator, North Carolina Free Enterprise Foundation, 2011
- Legislator of the Year, National Alliance on Mental Illness - NC
- Legislator of the Year, North Carolina Association of Local Health Directors
- Outstanding Legislative Leadership Award, ARC of North Carolina
- Distinguished Legislator Award, ARC of Cabarrus County
- Legislator of the Year, Autism Society of North Carolina
- Legislator of the Year, Senior Tarheels
- James D. Bernstein Excellence in Public Service for Children Award, North Carolina Pediatric Society
- Strategic Air Command Aerospace Education Distinguished Achievement Award
- State Government Relations