Stephanie A. Kennan
Senior Vice President
Federal Public Affairs
Stephanie joined McGuireWoods Consulting in October 2011 as a senior vice president of federal public affairs. She is an expert in healthcare policy and primarily focuses her practice in healthcare related matters.
Prior to joining McGuireWoods Consulting, Stephanie was a senior policy advisor at an AmLaw 100 firm, where she provided strategic advice concerning legislative and regulatory policy to clients focused on insurance reform, Medicare provider payments, Medicare Advantage plans, drug reimbursement, health information technology, and Medicaid issues. She was also Sen. Ron Wyden's (D-OR) health policy advisor for 10 years where she managed his extensive healthcare agenda, including drafting the first bipartisan Medicare prescription drug benefit legislation and the Healthy American's Act, Senator Wyden's healthcare reform proposal.
Stephanie has also held a number of positions related to health policy. She served as Director of Federal Government Relations for the Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, Assistant Director of Government Relations for the American College of Emergency Physicians and as a legislative representative for AARP.
Stephanie is currently earning her MBA from George Washington University. She co-authors the McGuireWoods "Weekly Washington Healthcare Update" with colleague Brian Looser.
- George Washington University, MBA candidate, present
- The Johns Hopkins University, M.A., Creative Writing
- University of Virginia, B.A., American Government and Foreign Affairs
- The Health Care Play Book, Stephanie Kennan and George Benjamin, M.D., Tampa: The American College of Physician Executives, 1994
- “Medicaid Managed Care and Emergency Care,” S. Kennan, G. Benjamin, E. Tallia ferro and L. Bedard, Annals of Emergency Medicine, Volume 22, Issue 11, 1993, pages 1746-1748
- “Focus on Health Policy Update,” Physician Executive Magazine, Bi-Monthly column with George Benjamin, M.D.
- Public Health Administration: Principles for Popular-Based Management. Boston: Jones and Barlet, 2008, contributor on chapter on budget and health issues in the first and second editions.
- Speaker, Impact of the 2012 Elections on Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation, Bloomberg BNA Webinar, November 13, 2012
- Board of Directors, Glen Echo Park Partnership for Arts and Culture