Jan 14, 2009
Public Private Partnerships Bulletin
1. Norfolk objects to plans for wider Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel (2 articles)
Norfolk opposes plans to expand bridge-tunnel
Bridge-tunnel expansion ideas hit wall of criticism
2. Harrisonburg considers 3 PPEA plans for new parking, downtown offices (2 articles)
City ponders garage, school office
The Daily News Record
Area companies submit construction proposals
The Daily News Record
3. Virginia IT PPEA faces scrutiny from legislative watchdog
4. New York considers plan to privatize assets, look for public private partnerships (1 link)
Recent report from the New York State Asset Management Commission examining ways to privatize state assets to raise funds to cover the current state budget deficit.
5. New report looks at state TIF laws (1 link)
Recent report from the Council of Development Finance Agencies related to tax increment financing laws in all 50 states. TIF district laws are often used in PPP transactions.
6. Plan emerges for Jordan Bridge redevelopment (2 articles)
Proposal: Tolls to pay for new $100M Jordan Bridge
Officials: Jordan toll may drive traffic to tunnels
7. North Carolina continues search for transportation solutions (1 link, 1 attachment at bottom)
Recent reports issued in North Carolina found here and attached at the bottom of this bulletin look at tolls and public private partnerships, among other ideas, to meet the states growing transportation needs.
8. Wolf calls for bipartisan committee to examine Virginia's transportation needs (1 link)
Letter from Virginia Congressman Wolf calling for a committee to examine Virginia's transportation needs.
9. Group sues over special tax districts for Metrorail PPTA
10. VDOT makes changes to PPTA guidelines (1 link)
Recent advisory from the Virginia Department of Transportation making changes to the state's PPTA guidelines related to conflicts of interest and federal CIFIUS compliance.
11. Caution urged before imposing 1-64 tolls
12. FHWA issues rules on asset valuation, Congress objects (2 links)
Recent Federal Register filing from FHWA on valuation of transportation assets by states and a letter from the chairs of the House and Senate Transportation Committees urging caution.
13. SPSA looks to double trash tipping fee, PPEA for waste to energy facility urged
14. Colorado examines tax hikes, PPP to address transportation needs (1 link)
Report from Colorado Transportation Finance and Implementation Panel examining ways to meet Colorado's transportation needs.
15. Texas issues report on toll road usage (1 link)
Recent report issued by the Texas Legislative Study Committee on Private Participation in Toll Projects.
16. South Carolina issues report on PPP in transportation (1 link)
Link to the report from the legislative committee created during the 2008 session to look at PPP.